Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December Topic

As we recently celebrated the beginning of Advent, I feel rather compelled to dedicate this space to the celebration thereof. Yet I don't want this blog to turn into a Max Lucado book about Christmas; not that there is anything wrong with Lucado. I merely wish to discuss Christmas from a more earthy prospective rather than waxing theological.

In my imagination, I like to picture some of my distant ancestors sitting around a Medieval fireplace telling stories to each other. I can remember my grandparents talk about family gatherings with music, singing, dancing, and lots of storytelling. Perhaps we have lost something by losing our fireplaces and front porches; I know of few families who get together like this.

At length, I come to the topic. What are the stories of family and friends that impact how you view Christmas? How has your conception of Advent changed over the years, and who played a part in that change? If God is with us as we gather in community as I believe he is, then is there a theology of gathering and storytelling associated with Advent? If so, what is it? How do we treasure that theology in our scattered status?

I give you a lot of facets to latch on to here; do not feel compelled to deal with each. Find one that you like and go with it. Have a great Christmas.

JC

No comments:

Post a Comment