Friday, February 28, 2020

america, god mend thine every flaw

I stood and watched the Fourth of July fireworks display from my driveway this evening, and at one point from a nearby parked truck tuned to the show's radio accompaniment I heard the somber trumpet playing 'Taps.' The song set me immediately reflecting on the past two Fourth of July displays I have seen, viewed from the back yard grounds of a homeless shelter. I watched the fireworks on these occasions in the company of homeless veterans, as well as other socio-economically deprived peoples.

Now I wonder (as I have before, lacking the context), how is it our freedom is celebrated so marvelously when there are those whose liberty is hard-pressed to be found?  Our country puffs its chest so proudly; truly it is full of air.

The struggle for food, clothing, shelter, emotional stabilty, and happiness on a daily basis is a far too oft told story in our country. how are these economic shackles passing off as life and liberty. Dangling the possibility and pursuit of a better life through social programs and the on-call workforce keeps a dim hope alive enough to keep wearied spirits quiet. The protestant work ethic says work hard and you will prosper, but a once true maxim has become a tone-steady voice of propaganda through the loudspeakers of an economic system that will not truly allow the low to move up. There is a glass ceiling above us all and by providence of birthplace, race, religion, and our parents socio-economic standing, a glass floor beneath our feet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment